I’m always on the lookout for interesting and unique party ideas for this blog. This week’s post is about using international themes for your event. Every culture has it’s traditional outfits and performers, and many of these performers are available for hire. Here’s some ideas:
1. Moroccan nights with belly dancers, snake charmers, hukas and waiters dressed in caftans. Drape the place in beautiful Moroccan fabrics, add candlelight and torches and you’ve got yourself something special.
2. Bollywood theme with traditional Indian Marquees (think an extravagantly decorated tent with lots of throw pillows and fabrics), beautiful Indian ladies in lovely silk saris, Henna artists and Yogis.
3. A sushi night with Japanese geishas dancing and playing traditional instruments such as the shamisen or shakuhachi, and singing. If you want a more hearty fare, hire Tepanyaki chefs to cook in front of your guests. What could be better than a fire-shooting volcano made of onions?!
4. Argentinian Tango night with costumed dancers/instructors, plain wooden tables with candles or lanterns, low lights, bottles of Malbac, tango posters or paintings on the wall. Remind the guests to dress in black and red.
5. A Queen’s Jubilee with royal footmen, cockney tourists, and a royal court. High tea anyone? If that’s too high-brow, just add a Beatles tribute band.
6. Brazilian Carnival with costumed stilt walkers, samba dancers, Brazilian bands, and vibrant carnival costumes and statues.
7. Chinese Circus with fire performers, Chinese circus acts, martial art dancers and extremem martial art performers. Throw in some body painters and origami and calligraphy artists just for fun.
One of my favorite entertainment providers for some of these types of performances, at least in NYC, is Smash Party Entertainment. I have no affiliation with them, but they were the inspiration for this article.